Name:

I'm the wife of a biology grad student working on figuring out where the heck I'm going in life, somewhere between falling on my ass and a "tada" moment right now...

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Make new friends, but keep the old...

With my husband finally getting himself busy with school lately, I've found myself a bit lonely over the past couple of weeks, which has me reminiscing about friends I've lost touch with over the years.
Today while browsing Facebook, I noticed that my freshman year roommate got married. I can't remember if I invited her to my wedding, but I feel bad that we lost touch over these years. She was a great roommate (certainly put up with a lot of drama as my now husband and I went through a shaky start to our relationship that year), and a wonderful person. A group of us went on a road trip to visit her in Ohio one summer, and had a really good bonding experience. We would've remained roommates through Sophomore year, but we thought we were each going to become RAs, and RAs could not be roomates. Neither of us got the position, but by that point it was too late to partner up again for a room. We lost touch not long after that, although we were friendly in passing. Such is the case with most of my college friends. Those who were closest to me during my Junior and Senior years have slid out of touch a bit too. The last time I saw them was my own wedding 2 1/2 years ago, which is also how long it's been since speaking to a couple.

I think of this while realizing how hard it is to make new friends after school. I will say I have 2 great friends who happen to live in my building, but convenience aside, I feel like I'm repelling all others. I'm working at an office with very few people my age or in my position. There are two receptionists around my age who I'd be happy hanging out with, but one has turned down every offer I've made to do so, and the other is new, and I just found out is the boss' daughter. Apparently they went out for drinks together recently. They both live near me, too. I wonder if I'm giving off a "don't invite me" vibe or something. One person who used to work in our office hung out with me, but she was really needy and a little crazy. I'd like to think I don't only attract crazies...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home