Name:

I'm the wife of a biology grad student working on figuring out where the heck I'm going in life, somewhere between falling on my ass and a "tada" moment right now...

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Work Hard, Play Hard

I realized today that I must be a sadist. Play Hard has taken an unfortunate and depressing back seat to Work Hard lately and I don't know how to fix it.

I mean, really, who takes on full time school and 3 jobs at once, while trying to balance home life and any kind of a social one to boot? My decision to drop down to a 3/4 time student with 2 jobs didn't help anything either. What did I do with all that extra time? Filled it up with Job #2 and studying, that's what. It's gotten to the point where I was grateful that my externship boss was sick today so I could take the afternoon and do homework for 4 straight hours.

It wasn't always this way. In high school, I was the girl who got A's on the tests without studying. Most of the time that would mean they were some kind of brainiac or at least someone with a good GPA and her pick of colleges. For me, it meant I felt like homework didn't need to be completed and turned in, because I figured an A on tests meant I understood the material. Besides, I was having too much fun on the volleyball team and in choir and working on my figure-skating career. This worked well for tests but didn't translate well for the report-card. There was one time where my parents became so concerned about my report-card grades that they were trying to figure out if I had a learning disability and needed medication. I did my homework that quarter just to disprove that theory, then went right back to my lazy ways.

That followed me straight through most of undergrad (with the exception of the infamous Junior year crisis) until I got to hygiene school. Somewhere between "my world is crashing down around me" and "hey, look! We're moving to Boston," I decided to get my act together. Perhaps a fresh time zone translated to a new beginning, but I like to think that I could finally see the paycheck at the end of the whistle. Unfortunately for me, I became more lopsided on the "work hard" than the "play hard" aspect of things, so much that the play hard moments are extremely few and far between nowadays, and mostly really happen when my husband's friends decide to get together, as the few friends I have around here don't really like to call to do much with me. One girl I go to school with actually said to someone that she doesn't know how I ended up with my husband, as he's so laid back, fun-loving and calm, and I'm...well, she basically called me the opposite; leaning towards my hubby as having the more favorable characteristics. Ouch.
If they could only see how I was back in undergrad, they would eat those words and then some. I'll leave the details out of that one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

It's cool to see that you still write in this. Good luck with playing. I know you'll get it right eventually. Everything has to balance out at some point.

3/19/2008 10:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home