Name:

I'm the wife of a biology grad student working on figuring out where the heck I'm going in life, somewhere between falling on my ass and a "tada" moment right now...

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Between Plymouth Rock and a Midwest Place

TJ is transferring schools. BC's biology program has all but failed; its senior faculty is doing nothing to help out its junior faculty thus leading to the failure of all of the faculty in mentoring its students. Long story short, he's applied to 5 schools: 2 in the midwest and 3 in MA. We're now down to 2 in MA and 1 in the midwest that we're waiting to hear from. For me it's 50/50 for which I'd prefer. I enjoy my job here and would be sad to leave it, but being in a health related field, I'd probably be able to find a job if we move without too much of a problem, even in this economy.

If we stay here, I earn more and can pay off my student loans faster, but we don't have family here and what we're paying in rent takes away most of the extra earnings.

If we go back to the midwest, we can own a house, be closer to family, and move on to the next phase in our life if we so choose. The downside would be missing the conveniences we have here, plus with the lower income and need to buy/maintain a second car and maintenance and all the associated costs of owning a home, things would be tighter financially while paying off student loans in the meantime.

I'm completely torn. We should find out by Easter (April 12th), where our future lies, but the wait is killing me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

I wish you luck! Be sure to let us know. It'll be great to have more friends in the midwest.

3/21/2009 12:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home