Name:

I'm the wife of a biology grad student working on figuring out where the heck I'm going in life, somewhere between falling on my ass and a "tada" moment right now...

Monday, October 02, 2006

Well this is a downer...

I don't know why, I don't know how, but somehow I managed to survive last week.
In the course of 4 days, we had 8 tests and quizzes, one of which the entire Dental Hygiene class of 2008 managed to bomb bigtime. Our program requires an overall grade of 73% in order to pass the class, anything below that is a fail. This basically means that if you want to shoot for bare minimum, you've gotta get 73% on everything you do. The class average on this puppy was 53%. We took failing to a whole new level that we're thinking of making it a sport. At least we all sucked on this one, it means it isn't necessarily our fault it went that bad, that's error on some other part too.
Last week was also the 3 year anniversary of my dad's death. One thing I've noticed over time is that you never really get over it, you just get used to it. Unless you're my mom of course, then you're over it as soon as you find the first penis that walks in the door that is nice to you. She's on a mission to get rid of my dog again. I might mention the fact that he's about 13 years old and probably only has about a year left to him. Unfortunately the woman doesn't have a heart enough to hang onto him for me. It's not like she can't afford it, and it seemed like things were going well there for a while; the neighbors were checking in on him and helping take care of him, while he gets to stay in familiar territory and not die early from the trauma of moving to a new home. He's not to the point where he should be put down either. He's able to walk alright, and although he's slow at stairs, he's able to manage them, and isn't even in pain.
On top of that, our landlady is still being a major pain in the ass. We have reason to believe that she looks through our mail, aside from the fact that there are things that need repairing around here that she never seems to get around to. One of her many excuses was that she hasn't had much time since she just got her floor redone. Not our problem. We've contacted the realtor that found us this place and she's gonna talk to some higher-ups tomorrow morning and help us out with this. We really do love the apartment itself, we just wish it was under different management and that her nosy ass didn't live directly upstairs from us.

2 Comments:

Blogger SouthernCanadian said...

Damn. I would hedge a bet that if the class average was 53%, there was something wrong with the test. I can see why in a health care profession everything is strictly criterion-based, but a fair cut score depends on a fair test.

I'm going to shut up right now. But I'm on your side - that's the take home message!

Let's chat sometime soon...I miss you!

10/02/2006 08:30:00 PM  
Blogger kitty Cat said...

Yeah this one definitely had something to do with the test setup. Our prof even admitted that this was a 6-chapter test, covering 3 subjects that are usually covered in 3 whole separate semesters in dental school; we smooshed them into 3 weeks and were told to regurgitate it for an intensive exam. Yeah right.

10/02/2006 08:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home